Thursday, January 7, 2010

Greed goes before a Fall

Today, I was the victim of fecundity and greed. The plum tree up the drive was guilty of the former. I leave you to guess about the latter... or, alternatively, read on...

The tree in question is laden with cherry plums every year, but normally I leave them to the birds and/or grind them into a plummy mush on the driveway with my car. However, in these days of the "locavore" movement (eat locally-grown food) and the re-discovered post-recession horror of waste (which some never lost, and some still don't have), I decided to discover what sort of plum sauce my driveway can conjure. The jury's still out on that - I'm working on it.

Back to the tale: the plum tree's situation led to my downfall. It is on a terribly steep bank, and I was in jandals. I filled my large white bucket to a depth of several inches, and was fully conscious of the risk of falling. But you know, there are always a few more gatherables that you really have to gather! I was honestly, truly, about to stop, when I reached for the plum too far. The world toppled around me and every single plum - bar one - left the bucket in a comical cascade... I was able to stop tumbling and spent the next 5 minutes on my dirty bottom re-gathering the lost plums, with the words "greed" and "fecundity" echoing around my head.

Such delight!

2 comments:

  1. Oh no, this is not a greed deed at all! Fruit, especially free fruit, is exempt, it is in the rules. Good luck with the sauce xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sauce is awesome!! Thank you for the absolution, he he; I haven't had one in a while. Hugs, em

    ReplyDelete