Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The truth about Book-Book

I made a discovery on Sunday, at the annual street party. I'm not talking about the public revelations of my inability to throw gumboots the furtherest or hammer nails in the fastest or sing melodiously; I'm talking about the provenance of the dreaded Book-Book.

It transpires that Book-Book's erstwhile owner is my neighbour from up the hill, who attended the party and was overheard (by me) talking fowlly. Naturally I leapt into the conversation (a shameless eavesdropper, me), explained my interest, listed the damage inflicted by this bird, and finally withdrew with the following information:

  • She bought several hens a few years ago.
  • Most were pure white, but there was a white one with black speckles (Book-Book answers to this description).
  • The speckly one absconded almost immediately and hasn't been seen in her hen-house since.

When I asked this neighbour her name, she prevaricated a little, and finally said "It's, it's,... Sue". She was clearly lying through her teeth. My response was delivered with menace, as you would expect: "How, appropriate". She blenched.

I'm not sure how to proceed. However I do know exactly where "Sue" lives.... I think she owes me a brace of tomato plants, several lettuces, and a brand new and tender tarragon, less one clutch of fresh eggs.

This neighbour is Kathleen, NOT "Sue"
Meanwhile Meredith and Tim have offered Book-Book a home at their Dunsandel estate; the cage arrives here in late January and all we need then is A Plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment