Monday, June 13, 2011

Market Highs

I toddled off to the market outside Riccarton House on Saturday - for the first time since the February quake, I think. The House is covered in scaffolding but it's still there, large as life (at least, it was on Saturday, before yesterday's wobbles). It was a June morning so not tropical, but not beastly cold either. I have learnt to go on my own, as I can relax (no-one beside me looking bored) and concentrate on my choices (no-one trying to chit-chat).

Oh joy! Two firsts for the Riccarton Market (quakes aren't all bad!) the cheesemonger had his truck there - I bought a whopping lump of English Stilton. Oh bliss! The Volcano Cafe (recently demolished in Lyttelton) had a stand with all the old favourites - huge succulent olives, artichokes in lemon and garlic, mushroom and port pate, tapenades, stuffed bell peppers, and more. I'm pretty sure it was Liz Braggins manning the stand - but I was too shy to suggest that she sing. Would have been cool though. I did establish that they still have the stand at the Lyttelton Market, so no need to feel guilty about pinching them.

I left - delightfully weighted down by a marvellous sense of well-being, two fully-laden bags, and an empty wallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment